QuickBooks Multi-user mode is an exceptional tool for accountants and accounting firms as it helps them to match-up to the competition and evolving technology. Multiple users can work together on a particular file, and no geographical restrictions are bounding the mode’s abilities.
A great tool designed with the latest technology, the multi-user mode sometimes encounters a series of errors, these are QuickBooks Errors H101, H202, H303 & H505 and these lead to ‘QuickBooks multi-user mode not working.’
This blog will focus on how to troubleshoot QuickBooks multi user mode not working with few recommended solutions.
What happens when QuickBooks Multi-user Mode is not working?
While you were opening a company file in a multi-user mode, there an error will appear indication any one of the following.
- You were trying to access a company file that was placed on some other computer. Hence the QuickBooks Copy could not reach the server on that computer. QuickBooks h202 error will appear.
- You will see QuickBooks Error H101, H202 and H505 if you were trying to work with a company file that on another computer and the computer requires additional installation & setup.
- The QuickBooks software on the computer (server name) is established to enable shared connections to the company file; however QuickBooks software on the computer failed to communicate with it.
Reasons for QuickBooks Multi-User Mode not working:
The below given are some of the problems that hamper communication when QuickBooks is trying to make a connection to the company but fails to do so:
- Incorrect Hosting Configuration settings
- Firewall blocking the incoming/outgoing communication to the company file
- ‘.ND file’ is damaged or is incorrect.
- QuickBooks cannot access the IP address of the system or for the server that is hosting the company file.
- The Workstations are configured to open the file via the host’s fully qualified domain name. ( for example- pcname.domain.com)
- QuickBooksDBXX service has not started yet
- The file is placed in a non-native installer server. ( VMWare, Microsoft Virtual Server, )
- QBDataServiceXX permissions do not have read/write permission and were not set to include ‘inheritable permissions’ from the object’s parent.
- QuickBooks file folder was not scanned by QuickBooks Database server on the server.
Methods to rectify QuickBooks Multi-User mode not working:
Solution 1: Check Network Connectivity
Firstly, Turn-off hosting on all the workstations.
- Open QuickBooks & select File > Utilities
- If you view ‘Host Multi-User Access’ then the computer is not hosting the company file, and you can move on the next computer.
Note: Do no amend anything if you see ‘Host Multi-User Access’ at your workstation.
- However, if you see ‘Stop Hosting multi-user access,’ choose that option
- Select ‘Yes’ to confirm.
- When in the company file must be closed window, then press ‘
- Now restart the computer when you repeat the process at the next workstation.
Secondly, ‘Ping server name from the workstation.’
Note: Now Ping the server with its name & not the IP address.
- You need to identify the ‘server name’ if you do not know it.
- Recognize the server using ipconfig/all commands for the server.
- Now Open ‘Windows Command Prompt’:
- For Windows 7, server 2008, vista- Press the ‘Windows start’ button> enter ‘cmd’ > click ‘Enter key.’
- For Windows XP, server 2003- Press the ‘Windows start’ button and select RUN. Now enter ‘cmd’ & press ‘Enter Key.’
- Enter the ‘ipconfig/all, & click Enter Key.
- Now make a note of the ‘Host ’
- Now Open ‘Windows Command Prompt’:
- The next step is to recognize the ‘server name’ using the data file ‘Windows Properties.’
- Go to Windows Explorer > browse to ‘My computer’
- Right-click on the drive with the company file and choose ‘Properties.’
- View the ‘Title bar’ of the Properties window.
- The server name will appear on the left of the first backslash.
- Now open windows command prompt:
- For Windows 7, server 2008, vista – press ‘windows start’ button> enter ‘cmd’ & click ‘Enter key.’
- For Windows XP, server 2003- Press ‘Windows start’ option & select RUN. Next, enter ‘cmd’ & press the ‘Enter ’
- Fill in ‘Ping’ (server name & press the ‘Enter key.’)
- You need to see an answer for every packet with none lost
- Next, you have to navigate to the ‘server shared folder’ through UNC from the client computer.
- If you see the path to the ‘datafile’ is on your network & starts with a drive letter, then that is a mapped drive.
- Search that drive in ‘My Computer’
- Now use the UNC path to go to your ‘Company file.’
Even after completing the above steps if you could not solve the issue then move onto the next solution.
Solution 2- Use QuickBooks Network Diagnostic Tool on the host.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Network Diagnostic tool
- Scan the folder that has your data file.
- Select ‘Scan folders’ option
- Press Add Folder option
- Go to the folder that has the data file.
- Now press ‘scan now’ option.
- List the number of IP addresses & network interfaces.
- If the ‘firewall status’ section has ‘Open ports’ option, then select the option to enable the ports for QuickBooks.
Note: If ‘Open ports’ option is not there, then you need to open the ports manually in the following/ next step.
- Now check for the ‘Data file ’
- Go to the ‘Test Connectivity Section’ and press ‘Browse’ option next to the ‘company file.’
- Go to the place where your data file & choose it.
- Select the ‘Test Connectivity’ option
- Ensure to make a note of the ‘file open status’ & advance status.
- Now open your company data file.
If the problem is still there, then look for the next solution.
Solution 3- Now Open ‘Network Ports’ that QuickBooks uses to transmit data.
- If the Windows Firewall is enabled, then add exceptions to windows firewall exceptions list.
Note: For Windows 7, server 2008 and windows server standard FE 2007- you need to add exceptions for both inbound/outbound rules.
- Now configure some other firewall /antivirus software to enable these ports.
Note: You can try and disable the software to see if it is a problem. Please note this is a temporary solution. Ensure that you re-enable & configure the ports properly after you have completed this check.
You can try the next solution if the problem has not been solved.
Related Topic QuickBooks windows firewall multi-user mode
Solution 4- Establish access permissions for Quickbooks services.
- Ensure that QBDataServiceUserXX is a windows admin account or is a member of the admin group.
- Now set the ‘required access permissions’ for the QBDataServiceuserXX.
- Next, open the QB company file.
- Now check the ‘Start-up option’ on QuickBooks service & restart it.
- Select the Windows Start option:
- For Windows 7 or windows vista- Go to the ‘search field’> enter services.MSC & press Enter.
- For Windows XP- Press ‘RUN’ and fill in ‘services.msc’ in the RUN field and press OK.
- Now right click ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ in the list>> choose ‘’
- Next, change the ‘start-up type’ to ‘Automatic.’
- When on the service status section, you can press ‘Stop’ option.
- In the same section, press the Start button. If on the same section, press ‘start’ option.
- Select the Windows Start option:
- Now, ‘Re-scan’ in which your file is there. (this is step 2 of solution 2)
Try out the next step if the problem is still there.
Solution 5- Add server to the ‘Windows hosts file.’
Note: You need to use the ‘IP address & computer name’ from above-given solution 1, step 2.
- Open Windows hosts file.
- Next, put an insertion point after the last IP address listed & fill in the server’s IP address.
- Now click Tab key and fill in the server name.
- Go to Filemenu>> choose Save. Now form the same menu you can select ‘EXIT.’
- Now try to open the company file.
Solution 6- Make a new folder for the ‘Company file.’
- Make a new ‘shared folder’ on the host.
- Establish the access permissions as given in Solution 4.
- Now copy the ‘.qbw file’ to the new folder.
- Next is to ‘Rescan’ the folder which has your company file.
- Again try and open the company file.
That is all for this article. The above given six solutions are the best-recommended solutions to amend QuickBooks Error multi-mode user not working. Though if the problem is still not solved, instantly connect at QuickBooks Enterprise Support phone number 1-805-257-5030.